Give your students a first-hand encounter with the past. Our guided tours and programs are aligned with PA Standards and include engaging hands-on interactions that take your students on a journey through the footsteps of history.
Plan your campaign
Use this checklist to help plan your visit.
- Select some possible dates. April, May, September, and October are high-demand months for group tours so please book early to ensure the date you desire.
- What are your goals for the visit? Check out our programs and hands-on activities to personalize the experience to meet your students’ needs and interests.
- Think about how many chaperones you need or want to bring. Fort Ligonier provides one free chaperone admission for every ten students. Additional adults are $9 per person.
- Do you want your students to visit our museum store? This can be scheduled into your tour. We have souvenirs including books and resources for adults and children, Fort Ligonier t-shirts and hats and a collection of 18th-century toys and games.
- Contact our education department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-238-9701 to schedule a day and time.
- A month before your scheduled visit, watch your email for a confirmation packet that includes a schedule, important visit information, and pre/post visit historical content you can use to prepare students for your visit.
- Payment Options: We accept all forms of payment (cash, credit card, or check). You can pay upon arrival, during your lunch break or some other convenient moment, or if you prefer, you may request to be invoiced after your visit at the time of scheduling.
Frequently Asked Questions
Field Trip Options
Virtual Tour Options
We have developed virtual programs for you and your students!
Virtual Programs Guide will be available soon. Please call for details.
Guided tours are led by education department docents and begin in either the fort or museum galleries. Docents share information, ask questions, tell stories, and lead students in historical analysis, critical thinking, and interpretation.
Cost: $9 per student
This is a self-guided experience in which the group chaperones are responsible for leading and managing their group throughout the fort and museum galleries.
Cost: $6 per student
History à la carte? Or Build Your Own Visit?
Start with a guided tour and build your own experience by selecting from one (or more) of the hands-on history options. Activity costs are per student and additional to your tour fee. With every 10 paying student visitors, 1 complimentary adult ticket will be issued. Additional adults over the allotted complimentary tickets will be charged $9.00 per person.
Call Matt Gault at 724-238-9701 for more detailed information.
EITC For Schools
The Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) is a tax credit program in Pennsylvania that allows approved businesses to donate their state tax money to an approved educational organization in the state. Fort Ligonier is a qualified to receive these monies and can then pass them on to public school students.
EITC funds can help offset the cost of your field trip by covering the admission costs, up to $10 per student. These funds are limited and are on a first-come basis. For more information about these funds, contact Mary Manges, Director of Education at email@example.com or 724-238-9701.
Young children have boundless curiosity about the world around them. Fort Ligonier encourages our youngest visitors (from birth through preschool) to use that natural curiosity to explore the wonders of history by providing a structured environment to engage with history, develop literacy skills, learn to follow instructions and grow creatively.
Fort Ligonier is a great place for early learners to use a variety of educational materials, artifacts, activities and experiences that support active learning. Trained museum educators and volunteers inspire an early love of learning through developmentally appropriate educational techniques. Parents or caregivers partner with their child in all aspects of these learning experiences.
Stay posted for more updates, programs and activities designed for Early Learners.
Schedule a guided tour experience for your little learners. Contact our Education Department at 724.238.9701 to make a reservation or for more information.