Skip to main.

Reconstruction

How the Restoration of Fort Ligonier Began

The first pieces of Fort Ligonier land were preserved by the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1934. By 1947, the first archaeological dig was conducted on the fort grounds and researchers discovered 18th century maps in England that showed intricate details of the original fort (1758-1766). These efforts inspired the reconstruction of Fort Ligonier that has been ongoing since the mid-twentieth century.

The Reconstruction of Fort Ligonier

Eight acres of the original site of Fort Ligonier have been preserved, with the subsurface features restored and the above-ground elements reconstructed. The inner fort is 200 feet square, defended by four bastions and accessed by three gates; inside is the officers’ mess, barracks, quartermaster, guardroom, underground magazine, commissary, and officers’ quarters. Immediately outside the fort is General Forbes’s hut. An outer retrenchment, 1,600 feet long, surrounds the fort. Other external buildings include the Pennsylvania hospital (two wards and a surgeons’ hut), a smokehouse, a saw mill, bake ovens, and a blacksmith’s forge.

Brad Mooney, Historic Restorationist on Site

Since the 1990s, Brad Mooney of Heritage Restorations has worked on the latest and most extensive phase of the fort’s reconstruction along with recreating the artillery train of the 1758 Forbes Campaign. Mr. Mooney’s work at the fort began with reconstructing the outer retrenchment, hospital, officers’ quarters, and the Fascine Cannon Battery.

Along with spearheading the fort’s restoration work, Mr. Mooney is also a popular figure with students who visit the fort. Fort Ligonier’s Education Department has even created an educational activity around him titled:

“Mr. Mooney: Boom Boom Bang!”

Who is this guy? He’s Mr. Mooney that’s who! He rebuilt the Fort, the cannons, and fires them too, but he will tell you all about that. Meet the man that makes a lot of noise and has historically reconstructed the Fort for all of us to enjoy!

Brad Mooney

Ongoing Preservation

Any visitor to Ligonier approaching from the south or west cannot help but be struck by the sight of the log walls and buildings of Fort Ligonier. Decades of Fort Ligonier Association members, community members and staff have strived to protect and preserve this 18th century landmark for generations to come. Great care and planning has taken place over the years to achieve historical accuracy and authenticity of the reconstructed fort.

Preservation

Replacement of the Fort’s East Bastion – one of four (at each corner of the inner fort)

Preservation

Re-chinking of building to protect against weather

Preservation

Repairs to artillery

Preservation

New interpretive signage to enhance the visitor experience

Preservation

New Multi-media technology that will focus on the archaeology and the people of the 18th century who are a vital link to Fort Ligonier’s history