Give your students a first-hand encounter with the past. Our guided tours and programs are aligned with PA Standards and include engaging hands-on interactions that take your students on a journey through the footsteps of history.
Plan your campaign
Use this checklist to help plan your visit.
- Select some possible dates. April, May, September, and October are high-demand months for group tours so please book early to ensure the date you desire.
- What are your goals for the visit? Check out our programs and hands-on activities to personalize the experience to meet your students’ needs and interests.
- Think about how many chaperones you need or want to bring. Fort Ligonier provides one free chaperone admission for every ten students. Additional adults are $9 per person.
- Do you want your students to visit our museum store? This can be scheduled into your tour. We have souvenirs starting at $.50 and up, including books and resources for adults and children, Fort Ligonier t-shirts and hats and a collection of 18th-century toys and games.
- Contact our education department at email@example.com or 724-238-9701 to schedule a day and time.
- A month before your scheduled visit, watch your email for a confirmation packet that includes a schedule, important visit information, and pre/post visit historical content you can use to prepare students for your visit.
- Payment Options: We accept all forms of payment (cash, credit card, or check). You can pay upon arrival, during your lunch break or some other convenient moment, or if you prefer, you may request to be invoiced after your visit at the time of scheduling.
Frequently Asked Questions
Field Trip Options
Guided tours are led by education department docents and begin in either the fort or museum galleries. Docents share information, ask questions, tell stories, and lead students in historical analysis, critical thinking, and interpretation.
Cost: $9 per student
This is a self-guided experience in which the group chaperones are responsible for leading and managing their group throughout the fort and museum galleries.
Cost: $6 per student
History à la carte? Or Build Your Own Visit?
Start with a guided tour and build your own experience by selecting from one (or more) of the hands-on history options. Activity costs are per student and additional to your tour fee. With every 10 paying student visitors, 1 complimentary adult ticket will be issued. Additional adults over the allotted complimentary tickets will be charged $9.00 per person. Click below to review the full school program guide.