Fort Ligonier offers programs and experiences that are a welcome addition to any homeschool curriculum. From special days planned for homeschool families to everyday opportunities for enrichment, homeschoolers will always find something to enrich their educational journey.
Fort Ligonier hosts homeschool days each spring and fall. Homeschool Days are for all ages and include experiential learning activities for all. This is a great opportunity for a field trip experience, but also a time to share and network with other homeschool parents and children. We offer special pricing, programs and scheduling. You are also welcome to visit any other time of the year, but hope that you will join us for our designated Homeschool Day events this year.
Each homeschool day offers new activities and old favorites such as:
- Marching and drilling
- Candle making
- Native American necklace making
- 18th-century cooking
- Museum tours
- Fort tours
- 18th century toys and games
- Engineering of the French & Indian War
- Colonial Kids Play Station
- Clothing of the 18th Century
Homeschool Day stations run every thirty minutes from 10:00 am – 2:00 PM. Time is built in for travel between stations. Lunch break is at each family’s discretion/need.
|9:30-10:00||Admission and welcome by Fort Ligonier staff in the museum lobby|
|10:00-10:30||Station of choice|
|10:30-10:40||Travel to next station|
|10:40-11:10||Station of choice|
|11:10-11:20||Travel to next station|
|11:20-11:50||Station of choice or lunch break|
|11:50-12:00||Travel to next station|
|12:00-12:30||Station of choice or lunch break|
|12:30-12:40||Travel to next station|
|12:40-1:10||Station of choice or lunch break|
|1:10-1:20||Travel to next station|
|1:20-1:50||Station of choice|
|2:00-4:30||Fort Ligonier is open. Feel free to explore the fort area, museum galleries, or the museum store on your own.|
Contact the Education Department with questions, at 724.238.9701 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why America is Free
In partnership with homeschool families, Fort Ligonier is excited to offer 4th-8th grade homeschool students the opportunity to participate in an in-depth study of the 18th century. This exciting experience will immerse students in the time period covering the French and Indian War through post-Revolution America.
During the program parents and students will:
- meet weekly (for 12 weeks) at Fort Ligonier for activities and lessons
- be provided with lesson plans and resources to implement at home
- learn the guiding principles of the time period
- be immersed in a unit study of early America through hands-on activities
- develop an 18th-century persona
- become familiar with etiquette practices of the 18th century
- learn a colonial dance
- gain insight into the incredible odds colonists faced in gaining independence
- participate in a culminating event at Fort Ligonier that will allow participating families to experience the 18th century as patriots of the day
Participants will meet weekly on Thursdays, January 3 through March 22, 2019. There will be an informational meeting for registered families in December 2017 at Fort Ligonier. Additional information will be sent after registration is complete.
Dates: Thursdays, January 3 – March 22, 2019
Time: 9:00 am – noon
Cost: $75 per student
Registration deadline: December 1, 2018
Space is limited
High School x Home School x History Seminar (HS3)
Is American history in your curriculum this year? Join us for a two-day, intensive history seminar featuring lessons on:
- The causes and effects of the French & Indian War
- Daily life in the 18th century
- Leadership lessons of the 18th century and how they are still relevant today
- Presentations by 18th century history experts
- Hands-on experiential learning right where history happened
Pack a lunch and drink each day for an exciting glimpse into history at the site of the events. For more information, please contact Mary Manges, Director of Education at email@example.com or 724.238.9701.
Dates: to September 4-5, 2018
Time: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm each day
Cost: $100 per student